Sunday, January 28, 2007

Chattacon 32

Carolyn and I have just finished a very pleasant weekend at Chattacon 32 in Chattanooga, Tennessee -- which is being held in the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel. I was the author guest of honor, along with Kevin J. Anderson, and Wen Spencer was the special guest. At my reading, I read a bit from Mindscan and Rollback -- and both were very well received.

I really enjoyed getting the chance to talk shop with Kevin and Wen, plus Tor author David B. Coe, author Rebecca Moesta, Edmund Schubert (the editor of Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show), Alethea Kontis from Igram, booksellers Larry Smith and Sally Kobee, SciFi Dimesnions editor John C. Snider, and others -- and, of course, talking to all the Tennessee fans. I also had a nice photo shoot session with Beth Gwinn, and judged the masquerade along with Beth and Carolyn.

All in all, a really nice time.


3 Comments:

At January 29, 2007 2:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wen Spencer is a regular over there at Forward Motion. I've conversed with her on several occasions. Sounds like you had a fun weekend.

 
At January 29, 2007 9:00 PM , Blogger GL Scarborough said...

I quite enjoyed your readings from your novels Mindscan and Rollback. It gives me a new perspective on the characters and the tone of Mindscan, and I'm waiting anxiously for Rollback.
Pretty funny, too. Laughed so hard I almost blew snot bubbles.

The post 9/11 Science Fiction panel was truly engaging as well. One thing I wish I had added was this quote from MLK:

"The old law of an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding; it seeks to annihilate rather than to convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys a community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends by defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers."

Can't improve on that.
Your fan,
--Les

 
At January 29, 2007 10:35 PM , Blogger RobertJSawyer said...

Hi, Les. It was a pleasure seeing you in Chattanooga! And many thanks for the kind words about the readings and the panel. I said to Carolyn that I really enjoyed doing the readings at Chattacon, because the audience was so appreciative; sometimes, audiences are afraid to laugh, thinking, I guess, that the author might not be being deliberately funny. :)

And, amen on what Dr. King said. Exactly my view, too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home