Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Tagged to talk about books

My friend Mark Leslie tagged me in his blog to talk about books, so here goes:

Total number of books I've owned:

A trickier question than it might seem. I've divested myself of a lot of books over the years, and besides all the ones in my bookcases I still have many hundreds in unopened boxes from when I last moved, five years ago. But the number 2,000 sounds about right to me ...

The last book I bought:

A trade paperback of Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi, to replace my old mass-market paperback that's in one of the boxes mentioned above; I needed the book as a prop for my appearance on TVOntario's More 2 Life discussed below. (Incidentally, I also watched the 1976 Helter Skelter miniseries for the third time this week; much of the acting in it is astonishingly good -- way better than typical Seventies television -- and it has Alan Oppenheimer in it, whom I'll watch in anything.)

The last book I read:

Believe it or not, The Sands of Mars by Arthur C. Clarke, which I had never read before. Delightful. It was Clarke's first full-length novel, and it was fascinating to see the seeds for things he did later in it: the plots of 2010 and A Fall of Moondust are both presaged here.

Five books that mean a lot to me:

Oooh! Let me do six:

  • To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee -- my favorite novel.
  • Trouble on Titan by Alan E. Nourse -- the first adult science-fiction novel I ever read, and the one that (in a positive way) made me decide I wanted to be a science-fiction writer.
  • The Man of Property by John Gallsworthy -- first volume of "The Forsyte Saga," which I absolutely adore.
  • Gateway by Frederik Pohl -- for my money, the best science-fiction novel ever written.
  • The Enormous Egg by Oliver P. Butterworth -- a kid's book that I can still read with pure joy as an adult; it's the totally charming story of a young boy whose hen lays an egg out of which hatches a Triceratops ...
  • The Paper Chase by John Jay Osborn, Jr. -- I read this in my last year of high school, and it made my change my career path: I decided to pursue writing instead of academia because of it.


The books in my collection where the physical object means a lot to me:


  • An ancient, beat-up paperback of From Outer Space, a variant title for Hal Clement's Needle, signed by Hal the first time I met him; Hal and I went on to become friends, and I miss him a lot.
  • A copy of Dune, inscribed to me by one of my high-school girlfriends, 'cause what she wrote was so sweet ... (and, just to underscore how long ago high school was, I had her adult son as one of my writing students at the University of Toronto last summer ...).


10 Comments:

At January 24, 2006 10:58 PM , Blogger Mark Leslie said...

I just knew your list and comments would be very interesting. Thanks for playing along with the tag, Rob, and thanks for sharing insights into your library.

 
At January 25, 2006 4:47 AM , Blogger Trish said...

To Kill a Mockingbird -- just amazing. I know a lot of people appreciate that book, but any time I hear someone say it's a favorite of theirs, I can't help but think they must be really good people. Scientific? Hardly. Accurate? So far. Congratulations, Robert, on being 'good people.'

TD

 
At January 25, 2006 8:30 AM , Blogger RobertJSawyer said...

Well, Chris, in that case, you're it! :)

 
At January 25, 2006 8:31 AM , Blogger RobertJSawyer said...

Hi, Christine. Thank you! Lots of people have urged me to read the Pullman books. They're on my to-be-read list ...

 
At January 25, 2006 8:35 AM , Blogger RobertJSawyer said...

Hi, Trish. Thank you! In fact, this makes me think it's really time for me to go back and read To Kill A Mockingbird again ... :)

 
At January 26, 2006 1:47 AM , Blogger JACM - Juan Antonio Cisneros Mtz. said...

Hi Robert. I just found your blog, today I finished the three books (In Spanish Hominidos, Humanos e Hibridos), by the way so hard to find the 3rd one (Thanks AMAZON), Just to let you know that my Wife, my oldest son and I enjoyed a lot your books (that's the reason I needed in Spanish, so I can share).

Now I can't wait to get more Sawyer's books. I'm an Asimov Fan, and I can tell I'm a new Sawyer Fan. Thanks a lot for your books

Juan Antonio Cisneros M.
Aguascalientes, Ags. Mexico
cisnerosmtz@gmail.com

 
At January 26, 2006 1:50 AM , Blogger JACM - Juan Antonio Cisneros Mtz. said...

Rob

I've just finished the three books (hominidos, Humanos e Hibridos in Spanish), so hard to find the 3rd one, only in AMAZON.

My Wife, my oldest kind and me enjoyed your books for hours (that's the reason I got them in Spanish so I can share with the family).

I'm an Asimov fan, and from now on I'll be a Sawyer's FAN.

Thanks a Lot

Juan A Cisneros

 
At January 26, 2006 8:31 AM , Blogger RobertJSawyer said...

Hello, Juan. THANK YOU! I'm glad you've been enjoying the Neanderthal books in Spanish! A number of my other titles are also avaialbe in Spanish from Ediciones B.

 
At January 27, 2006 3:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Translate into Russian:-)
http://www.outzone.ru/post/145

 
At January 27, 2006 10:57 AM , Blogger Amy said...

Hi, RJS! I'm a fan of your Neanderthal Parallax series and just found your blog. I recently heard about a software program (Readerware) that creates an electronic library catalog of your books when you scan the bar codes. A must-have for readers and writers everywhere! Just a comment/suggestion based on your post about books.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home