Sunday, April 6, 2008

Proud!



Five years ago today, one of my week-long writing workshops at the Banff Centre in the ski-resort town of Banff, Alberta, started. I had six students with me for that week, and a terrific bunch they were! I've kept in touch with all of them to one degree or another since, and I'm just pleased as punch at their writing successes in the interim:

Kim Greyson (part of the 2008 World Fantasy Convention committee) recently had his first (nonfiction) publication; Ernie Reimer has gone on to publish short fiction in several venues, including On Spec; Ed Hoornaert's first SF novel, The Trial of Tompa Lee, is out in hardcover from Five Star; and the irrepressible Edward Willett had his novel Lost in Translation published by Five Star, then re-published by DAW, and his second DAW novel (begun in my class!), called Marseguro, is just out -- and he's sold them a third book.

(Meanwhile, Kaye Mason, also part of that class, has finished a Ph.D. in computer science and now works on way cool stuff at EA, the big computer-games maker, and Kevin McIsaac is active with all sorts of community and charitable things in Fernie, B.C.)

That was one of the best weeks of my life, and I'm so glad my students are all doing so well!

The Robert J. Sawyer Web Site


3 Comments:

At April 06, 2008 12:07 PM , Blogger Edward Willett said...

Both weeks I spent in your class at Banff, that one and the one in 2005, were absolutely wonderful experiences. And the fact I got Marseguro out of the latter one was just gravy!

 
At April 07, 2008 1:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a great time as well. I've just recently started getting back into writing, so, with luck, I'll be able to add to your brag tags eventually. Of course my real treasure from that weekend was the video of RJS channeling Bill Shatner doing the theme from Shaft.

 
At April 07, 2008 10:52 AM , Blogger Edward Willett said...

Argh. I had (mercifully) forgotten that...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home