Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Philip K. Dick Award finalists



This year's finalists for the Philip K. Dick Award -- honoring SF books first published in the previous year as paperback originals in the US -- include my friend and fellow Canadian Minister Faust for The Notebooks of Dr. Brain.

The full list:
  • Grey, Jon Armstrong (Night Shade)
  • Undertow, Elizabeth Bear (Bantam Spectra)
  • From the Notebooks of Dr. Brain, Minister Faust (Del Rey)
  • Nova Swing, M. John Harrison (Bantam Spectra)
  • Gradisil, Adam Roberts (Pyr)
  • Ally, Karen Traviss (Eos)
  • Saturn Returns, Sean Williams (Ace)
Many years ago, I was a Philip K. Dick Award judge. The previous Canadian PKD Award winners are Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984), and, in the year I was a judge, Mysterium by Robert Charles Wilson -- long before we became close friends, I might add. :)

The copy of the cover of Minister Faust's book that is kicking around online has a quote from Richard K. Morgan in the upper left, but the actual book instead has this blurb from me there: "An outlandish, outrageous tour de force by the most innovative prose stylist in the field." --Robert J. Sawyer, author of Hominids



The Robert J. Sawyer Web Site


1 Comments:

At January 09, 2008 4:14 PM , Blogger Jim Shannon said...

Hi Rob,

You should read some of the funny comments on Bear's blog about the award. It's worth a chuckle. Link to her blog is on my front page.

I hope Faust wins the award. I'd be nice to have an Edmontonian win.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home