Friday, December 1, 2006

Name-drop? Moi?

Sometimes, life is particularly nice. This evening, Carolyn and I were guests at a $150-a-plate fundraising dinner (I'll tell you for what in another post). The meal was at a Chinese seafood restaurant -- and I'm not a big fan of seafood. But the eight-course dinner included Peking duck and crispy chicken, so I actually really enjoyed the food.

Seated at our table was my old friend Bob McDonald, the host of CBC Radio's Quirks and Quarks.

Seated at the next table was Canadian comedy legend Don Harron (who portrays the character Charlie Farquharson). MC was talk-show host Vicki Gabereau, and the entertainment included renowned Canadian singer Catherine McKinnon and standup by Alan Park from the Royal Canadian Air Farce.

Also on hand were a bunch of my literary colleagues, including writers Lawrence Hill and Ken McGoogan, powerhouse agent Bev Slopen, and Trevor Owen, the impresario of Canada's famed Writers in Electronic Residence Program, of which I was part of in its early years.

Great food, great company, great entertainment. Life be good.
 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home